Pykickstart’s test suite requires the nosetests Python package. To execute it from inside the source directory run the command:
It is also possible to generate test coverage reports using the Python coverage tool. To do that execute:
To execute the Pylint code analysis tool run:
Running Pylint requires Python3 due to usage of pocket-lint.
Test Suite Architecture¶
Pykickstart’s test suite relies on several base classes listed below. All test cases inherit from them.
unittest.TestCase- the standard unit test class in Python. Used only for base classes described below;
CommandTest- intended as a base class for tests related to pykicsktart commands. The important functions are:
- self.assert_parse - KickstartParseError is not raised. If a matching value is supplied make sure the resulting string matches it;
- self.assert_parse_error - assert that parsing the supplied string raises the specified exception (KickstartParseError by default);
- self.assert_deprecated - ensure that the provided option is listed as deprecated;
- self.assert_removed - ensure that the provided option is not present in option_list;
- self.assert_required - ensure that the provided option is labelled as required in option_list;
- self.assert_type - ensure that the provided option is of the requested type;
ParserTest- base class for tests related to parsing functionality. Always uses the DEVEL version of pykickstart. Important functions are:
- self.assert_parse - parsing of this string is expected to finish without raising an exception; if it raises an exception, the test failed;
- self.assert_parse_error - parsing of this command sequence is expected to raise an exception (KickstartParseError by default). Matching regular expression can also be provided.
CommandSequenceTest- inherits from
ParserTest, enables testing kickstart indepdent command sequences and checking if their parsing raises or doesn’t raise a parsing exception.
In addition any other assert methods from
unittest.TestCase can be used
as well to provide better test coverage.
Test scenarios are defined inside the runTest method of each test class using multiple assert statements.
In order to get a high level view of how test classes inherit from each other you can generate an inheritance diagram:
PYTHONPATH=. python3-pyreverse -p "Pykickstart_Tests" -o svg -SkAmy tests/